Established in 1963, we are San Diego’s founding Jewish Day School
Centrally located in San Diego in Kearny Mesa, at 3630 Afton Road, San Diego, CA 92123
Students - Preschool: approx. 100 students; Kindergarten - 8th Grade: approx. 270 students
School Membership and Accreditation:
- California Association of Independent Schools
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges
- Member of Torah Umesorah- The National Society for Hebrew Day Schools
- Partners with the Center for Innovations in Jewish Education
- Member of YU School Partnership - a subsidiary of Yeshiva University
- Blue Ribbon Award for Excellence from the United States Department of Education
- National, State, and County academic awards across all secular subject areas
- 3rd-8th graders take the ERB (Education Records Bureau) standardized test (the same test as the local elite private schools take). Our students score in the 80th-90th percentile across all subjects.
Curriculum- 50% Secular & 50% Judaic:
- Intensive academic secular studies include all areas of sciences, math, English and social studies.
- Classic Judaic education includes study of Torah, Hebrew, Derech Eretz (Character Development), Haggim (holidays), Tefilah (prayer) and Israel
- Mixed gender classes through 5th grade. In middle school (6th-8th grade), boys and girls learn together for all secular classes but are separated for PE and Judaic studies classes.
- 45 minutes daily immersion in modern conversational Hebrew for 1st-8th grades. Language immersion study is designed to develop oral and written fluency. Hebrew language studies engender a deep love and commitment to Israel. Eighth graders travel to Israel to apply their Hebrew and Judaic learning upon graduation.
- Students participate in weekly specialty classes in Art, Music, Technology and Literature.
- P.E. is twice a week for elementary school and three times a week for middle school.
- After school activities vary depending on demand. Past offerings have included art, music, theater, dance, cooking, Tae Kwon Do, competitive athletics, computer literacy, chess club.
- SPA - active group of parents who coordinate programs throughout the year to raise funds and support the school.
- Hebrew Day Chevra (Friends) - dedicated group of parents who organize fun and educational programs to bring families together to learn and strengthen our school community.
- Chesed Committee - dedicated group of parents who coordinate community support for school families during times of need such as births, recovering from surgery or illness and shiva.